I had a money order from Western Union that was given to me. In waiting to deposit it (I had just moved and my bank was several hours away), I forgot about it. I didn't read the "fine print" on the back of the money order so when I did try to deposit it over a year later it bounced and I was hit with some banking fees.

I called the 1-800 number, spoke to "Edmund", and found that the money order depreciated. Apparently it was "company policy" to charge 50 cents per month on the total value of the money order. Then "Edmund" told me that I'd have to print up a form, get it notarized, send it and the money order to the office in Englewood, CO. While this was frustrating enough, "Edmund" kept interrupting me when ever I tried to ask a question or explain that I didn't have the money order as I had deposited it. I asked him several times not to interrupt me. Furthermore, I gave him my email address so he could send me the correct form. I still haven't received it. I am frustrated and not happy.

Even though it may be their policy, I don't agree with the terms of the contract; I think they could improve on the service they provide and their employees should have customer service training. My brother purchased a money order from the post office and didn't have this problem. As long as this policy continues, I recommend against using the service. Use personal checks if possible or buy a money order from the post office.

Review about: Western Union Money Order.

Comments