I've never personally used Western Union before. So, I've just run into a situation where I needed to wire funds from the U.S.

to China. I created a profile on their website and entered my bank's debit card data to get started. After attempting to complete the transaction, I received a message that stated, "your payment was declined by your bank." I then contacted my bank to find that my account and my card were in perfect working order. I attempted once more to complete the WU transaction to receive a notice that I would not be able to complete any transactions both online or by telephone and that I would need to physically go into a WU location if I wanted to send money.

I thought WU may have simply had a "connectivity" issue with my bank's debit card system, so I revised my profile with my checking account information to attempt the 3-day transaction directly from the account. However, when WU's website tried to access the bank account to verify information, WU's site just timed out. I then went one step further and entered a credit card into my account and tried the transaction one last time...same result...denied. After contacting WU's customer support, all I could get out of them was that they utilize several different methods to protect consumers.

However, there was no answer as to why I was denied, nor to what extent and/or how long I would continue to be denied. The rep simply informed me that I would need to seek out a physical WU location to send funds. So, here's my dilemma...why would this company advertise a service that they obviously do not offer? Why would they lead customers to believe this service exists?

And finally, why the *** did I need to waste several hours of my morning entering personal account information, then speaking to customer service reps only to find out that I still must physically go into a WU location to send the funds? Nope...this sort of service (or the lack thereof) just made a lifetime impression on me.

I will NEVER attempt to utilize WU again and will simply pay the few extra dollars to perform wire transfers directly with my bank. WU...STOP WASTING CONSUMER'S TIME!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Western Union Website.

Comments