Western union 3 times confirmed money transfer & refused recipent

Sep 12, 2012
review #345093
Update added by user Oct 13, 2012

Update; I am now using another company to send money.

Original review posted by user Sep 12, 2012

I have been trying to send money for a 7 days. Every month I send money to a family member in Jamaica using Western Union. (She's 65 & needs the money for FOOD) This month both times I sent online I recieved a confirmation screen with MTCN # & when the person tried to pick it up it was denied. I spent countless hours on the phone for 3 days trying to no avail, to straighten this out.

As a last resort I went to my grocery store to send money last night. Today I get a call saying she still cannot get them to give her the money. At last count I sent 400$ twice & 150$ last night, plus 60+$ in charges. This company is outrageous! Costumer service is the worst I have EVER had to deal with!

(I tricked them & sent the money to a different person & she recieved the money through her friend.)

I don't know what they are doing about fraud, but clearly it is unsucessful. But they are very sucessfull at blocking legit. money transfers! Shame on them, someone went hungry because of their stupidity!

I will find other methods to send money in the future & am contacting a lawyer! I WILL GET ALL MY MONEY BACK! This co. is on the fast track to FALIURE!

9d3461e
Had an experience with Western Union?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
john

Sep 01

I got the almost same problem in western union,,,i am from aruba and have been sending money for my wife for 2 half years,,,then suddenly this western union gave me headache,,,i thought it was a minor problem that my wife cannot receive bcoz it didn't appear on their system about the mtcn# that they gave me i went back to branch it appeared that it was received when it is not,,,thanks to manager she refund and i sent it again by other ID not mine to send to my wife and she received it,,,then next month after that i tried to send again in other branch ,,,thought that it was employees error,,,,tried it in other branch it was still the same,,,NOW *** WESTERN UNION I CANNOT SEND BY MY NAME I DONT KNOW WHAT *** THEIR INFO TECHNOLOGIST DOING WHY THEY CANNOT TRACE THE PROBLEM,,,I EVEN COORDINATED TO COMPLAINTS DEPARTMENT BUT AFTER THEY HAVE MY INFO AND STATEMENT,,,IT END UP THAT THEY GONNA REFUSE ME TO USE THEIR SERVICE BUT THE REASON WHY ? THEY CANNOT DISCLOSE ,,,SO I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO SEND MONEY THROUGH MY PARENTS ID OR MY FRIEND'S ID TO SEND IT TO MY WIFE,,,,*** *** WESTERN UNION,,,I HOPE YOUR COMPANY WILL BANKRUPT BECAUSE OF YOUR IDIOTY AND STUPIDITY! IF ONLY THERE'S OTHER WAY AROUND TO SEND MONEY LIKE WIRE TRANSFER I WOULDN'T USE YOUR *** SERVICE,,,,WESTERN UNION PUTANGINA NYO

Aug 27 North Carolina, United States

They did the same thing to me, told me I was on a government list and they could not allow me to send. The money goes to the same person every time, apparently it is against the rules to be married to someone in a foreign country and try to take care of them. I will never use them again.

RICCHH

Aug 20 Amsterdam, North Holland

well.....ive used westernunion for 4 years straight sending money to support friends and family abroad...suddenly i get transaction declined from online and then went to agent shop..transaction as successfull but receiver could not pick up the money......they instead returned back the transaction and asked me to go and get a refunded from the agent - reason - unclear 1- Business reasons , 2- security reasons 3- the system declined you because your points scored is low 4- .Now all my transactions are declined for no reason......am not a terrorist, am not a drug dealer, am in full time employment, , etc......and they don't give a reason?Am now trying to go through FSA (Financial services authority because they regulate westernunion....i need to know exactly why am declined any transaction....

deb

Aug 16 Honolulu, Hawaii

I used this company every day to send $25 to my homeless son so he can eat. Western Union did the same thing to me--put us both off limits for security reasons. They lost a good customer because of their stupidity. I use MoneyGram now.

bigjoe

Aug 16

WU may be the biggest in the money transfer business but not the best. Also after being blocked for sending money through their system they call back wanting to fix my good customer status. In no way I ever got a notice that I was not a good customer, Their fraud investigation unit is sham they can't sniff out fraud even if it hit them in the face. Now they are requesting my bank statements, utilities bills, and not only that they want to see the utilities bills of my receiver....not going to happen so taking my business somewhere else and hope their stick keeps dropping.

Erica Williams

Jan 15

I agree they put a block on my account andcthe most I ever sent was $100 about a month ago now all I wanted to send was $60-$70.00 .Wake up u Idiots, Im a citzen of the USA , not everyone who needs to send money is sending it for Drugs or Lottery!

nicky

Sep 27, 2013

i have experience that about 4times from different person its so upsetting and they are not giving the person any valid reason why its has been return to sender and when i track it online it say available to pick up by receiver it was a good service to use but these days it better to used JN Money transfer or Moneygram

JAMES

Aug 22, 2013 Mumbai, Maharashtra

WU are thieves. they are very good at blocking money. also, blocked money disappears as they flag is as picked up in system. so no one can get it back. they are the biggest frauds. BEWARE.

1 0 Reply
Boycott Western Union

Jun 06, 2013 Aventura, Florida

Same experience here, tried unsuccessfully to send money for 7 days. Wasted countless hours with clueless customer service. I used the WUPay option, which is very secure since you don't have to disclose any financial info to them. Still, recipient was refused the payout, in spite of emails and customer service saying that the transaction was approved and money was available. Then it takes them 1.5 weeks or more to refund the money. I tried to send the money with a local agent, but in addition to my drivers license, also wanted my SSN. yeah right, now way. So pissed, hope this company goes down in flames someday.

Angy

Jun 01, 2013 Moline, Illinois

This company sucks! Don't use them. The last 2 times I sent money, they put a hold on it with no explanation as to why the hold was put on it. When I called to find out what was going on, they asked me for all sorts of personal information, made me fax in documents showing where the money was going, etc. Looking back, I should have just told them forget it and just get a refund. Once I was through that ordeal which took 2-3 days, the hold was just released. They never contacted me, it just got released. This was after leaving like 4 messages on their compliance department's voice mail (they never pick up and they don't call you back). So, I thought at least it was all taken care of. Shouldn't happen again because of all the information I gave them. Well, sent another transfer and the receiver couldn't pick it up. They said WU put a hold on it. I called (again voice mail), never received a call back. Called main customer service number and they said the money was available. So, the receiver has to waste time going back again to pick up, I had to spend all sorts of time on the phone, etc. This company is ***. Don't use them. MoneyGram was a little more expensive, but seemed to be more customer-conscious and competent. There are only 2 companies that have really pissed me off over my lifetime - AT&T and Western Union. If enough people just stop using their services, maybe they will learn a lesson.

Matt

Feb 04, 2013 Dallas, Texas

I've tried 3 transfers, all get refunded back to me with no reason. I called their awful customer service and went 3 levels up and got an e-mail address to get and answer to the issue. Mailing them now.

Might be worth checking out.
wuamlcompliance@westernunion.com

RECENT PROBLEMS WITH WU MONEY

Dec 14, 2012

I have been experiencing the same problem with sending money to Jamaica recently. I have been using their services for years with no problems. Twice this week I received Approval and the MTCN numbers for the transfer, however, each time the recipient never received the money. It is pointless trying to get an explanation from them. I was trying to help a friend who was kind to me in Jamaica when I lived, the person has fallen on hard times. Very unfortunate situation.

angrymomof2

Nov 16, 2012

I was sending money to my husband and daughter who were stranded over seas after a robbery and they blocked the transactions because of where they were located. because of them my husband and daughter suffered and my husband ended up in jail in a foreign land with my daughter being taken care of by one of his co-workers whom i've never met. the only thing that saved my husband was my daughter being there because the court had mercy on him. :?

Tike

Nov 09, 2012

Free knolwdege like this doesn't just help, it promote democracy. Thank you.

dowayne

Sep 17, 2012

my mom as been sending me money via western union for years now and now they are telling me the money is being sent back and cant give an explanation. To day my my cousin in canada sent money for my grandmother they are saying i am unable to receive any transfer. And this is happening to alot of people and i notice its only persons between 18-40 yrs old. But the real scammers can still get their money because their friends work in the office. Congrats WU way to put in security measures for the worst now customers who being using this service for years now will go else where

Just ridiculous

Jan 15, 2013

I have been having the same problem. I am in Jamaica too, and tried getting a payment from a friend before Xmas. Called in the morning to verify that it was available for pick up, said yes, so went to location, long line, just to be told that it couldn't be paid out. Called Kingston, supervisor said she sees it available, to go back straight to the window and ask the lady to pay it out. Well, was told the same thing. Got frustrated, and called Supervisor again who said to go back, and that the payment was there. Well, was taken out of the line, waited 30 minutes for the agent to get a call back from her supervisor, just to be told it had been sent to the sender ... Friend called WU overseas and was told that Jamaica refused the payment, as it looked like a fraud ... When I called Kingston, they said they didn't know what happened and that it was done from overseas ... + W.U. gave me an International number to call 1-800-325-6000 and which happens to be fraud ... just looked online and read over 50 posts saying it is a number used to scam people, so who is robbing who ????????????????? As off today, W.U. is on MY own scamming list and will never had ANYONE use it again to send me any other further payment.

big man

May 11, 2013 Brampton, Ontario

western union don't have a clue what security is, they are blocking legitimate customer who has been with them for years without even looking at the history of both party.my 76 years old father-in-law who has been receiving money from us for more than 15 years as becomes a fraud suspect without any explanation from western union don't even bother talking to anybody on the phone you wont get anywhere. I am trying use other ways of doing my money transfer.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Western Union.
Filing a new complaint about
×